Sunday, April 26, 2020

Re-framing, sheeting and Sans tail wheel

Over the days (mid-week) I've been trial fitting the rebuilt center fuselage (F-414/415 & 407/408).  It really all goes together as one unit.  I wanted to make sure I had everything aligned well and that the main spar / trailing-edge spar spacing (F406 to 407) spacing was dead on for both sides.
I assembled the core (just 414 & 407) and put it into the space and I let it sit for a night (so I could sleep on it).  Yesterday morning,  I drove the rivets and made it permanent.  Then  added the rest and finished the F-418.

On The F-418, I installed the extra washers on the elevator bell crank before driving the rivets. 





I built the replacement 3/4" angle from the spar to the lower engine mount weldments.  It had cracked from wholes too close to the edge, easy replacement.

So the core is framed. I'm still waiting on the big long 9' long 3/4" x 1/16" angle for the lower-aft longeron which had a minor bend.  But I drilled out the tail and pulled the old bent angle out.  While I was in there, I also liberated the tail wheel.  There is no-longer a tail wheel in this aircraft!

The tail wheel weldment provided some hard-points and stiffness in the tail for the elevator and rudder.  So, I replaced the bolt for the second to last bulkhead which has the pair of elevator attachment bars and I plan to install a 1" angle for the lower rudder attachment inside the last bulkhead.  

Finally, I started cutting the sheet F-422 and 423L/R.  I used the existing sheets as a rough template.  I spray-painted the outline and holes (I plan to back drill for most, but having the old holes will help in places where I can't back-drill and I'll have to drill outside blind) onto the new sheet and cut with 2 mm trim all around.  I found I was able to cut the F-423 pair from one width, so I should have quite a lot of 0.032 left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment